Random bugs/suggestions

Write here if you have you found a bug or you just want to share and idea to make this game better.
Abrasus

Re: Random bugs/suggestions

Postby Abrasus » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:08 pm

Thanks a lot!
Caledoriv

Postby Caledoriv » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:32 pm

Lorenzo wrote:- Scrolling: This will be fixed in the next few days. Where is this mostly a problem for you?

- Button & Tab Colours: Very good point about the tabs, they are completely grayed out, I need to figure out something better. Regarding instead the green/black buttons for the base type (Squared, Round, None) what colors would you use instead, otherwise how do you think it would make sense to change those.

- Measuring: I have plans to add an extensible meter but besides that one, which one else is necessary? Also honestly do you think that the extensible meter is still necessary given the new distance line?

Aww, I am rather busy at the moment. Here some more comments (although I haven't had a look UB2 since the last post).

Scrolling: Since I'm used to scroll with the mouse wheel (always), I was rather annoyed by everything that could scroll :roll:. When I have another game in hopefully about 2 weeks, I'll have the time to look at this closer...

Colours: I'm not exactly the right guy to ask for this. I'd probably go with some light green or light blue for the non-selected tabs / buttons and a light red for the current tab.
Maybe also change the colour of a button to another colour when the cursor hovers over it to signal it is clickable.

Measuring: Actually, you are right. It's not really needed. We mostly used it to determine whether unit A could see unit B behind some terrain. But measuring e.g. 60" range for a war machine requires some work. Anyway, features I can imagine are:
- A "straight line" tool: Click point 1, click point 2 - and the line defined by those points appears. This'd make determining sight lines so much easier.
- A "radius" tool: When a model / unit is selected, this tool shades the entire area within range X of the model / unit. This makes measuring ranges of war machines easier and also allows for faster placement of other shooting units / mages. This can potentially become a "tooltip" window beside a model / unit when it is selected (although there should be a possibility to disable it).
- I don't know whether people would want it: A "distance" tool: Select two units / Models; the distance of the two closest points is displayed. This could potentially speed up the games enourmously, but it also takes away the "classic" feel. I don't know how well this would be perceived, though (the same is true for the radius feature...).
Abrasus

Postby Abrasus » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:55 am

For now setting up deployment zones is a nightmare without extendable tape (which won't actually change that much unfortunately, while 'straight line' tool presented above would).
Lorenzo
Site Admin

Postby Lorenzo » Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:16 am

About the straight line, how are you thinking this would looks visually?
Just like the distance line maybe with the addition of also the angle?
Would you see many of those on the screen?
Would those be on top of the models or on the bottom?
How would you use that for deployment zones?

If anyone can draw a representation that would definitely help.
Caledoriv

Postby Caledoriv » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:22 am

Straight line:
I can imagine a toggle button besides the "tools" button. If it gets toggled, the cursor changes to indicate it is toggled (e.g. it can become a cross). Then, the player can click anywhere on the battlefield (possibly disable the ability to click anything else while toggle is ON). With the first click, a small filled circle appears. With the second click, another circle appears along with the line defined by those points. After the second click, it is automatically toggled OFF. Similar to other tools, it is displayed above the models / terrain.
These small circles and the line can then be clicked on and selected (similar to other tools). If the line is selected, it can be moved by drag & drop (similar to other tools) - i.e. the positions of both points is changed simultaneously. If only a single circle is selected, only this circle can be moved by drag & drop, thus changing the slope of the line. When selected, it can be deleted like any other tool. "Being selected" can be displayed by something like a "shadow": I imagine the points & line to be black; when selected, the selected parts are displayed with a slightly larger, slightly opaque version of them.

Alternatively, this can become a tool similar to the ones already available. As soon as it is selected, two small circles and the line connecting these circles appears (initial distance possible 10"). It can then be handled as described above.
(This can possibly become even two tools: 1) The line is bounded by the two points and 2) the length is indefinite, i.e. the displayed line does not end at the point)

Oh, and id't be very useful if the distance of both points was displayed (possible near the middle of both points).

Now these are just suggestions. What do you think of them? I hope I could paraphrase the picture in my mind suffiently for you to understand. If not, just tell me.
Abrasus

Postby Abrasus » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:29 am

I would totally imagine straight line tool to work exactly like Microsoft Paint straight line tool.
BenMitchell

Postby BenMitchell » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:39 pm

I've now had a chance to play 2 games using UB2, and just wanted to say - excellent work!

I took some time looking through comments folks have already made, and looking through the Trello document, so I'm going to try and only list new suggestions here:

1) Since you are already looking into an 'undo' button/feature, can a 'redo' button accompany it?
2) There often is no need now to utilize the 'Random Direction' feature at the bottom of the dice box - any way that this portion of the window could be minimized/retractable while playing?
3) Arc button on trays. Currently you have an Arc tool (very essential) - but could you have a way to press a button on a unit and have it automatically extend arcs off of the corners of the tray?
4) The rotation of units/tools doesn't feel as 'finely tuned' in UB2 as it did in UB1 - any way to improve that (I understand there are tablet vs computer difficulties that probably come into play here). When I say finely tuned, I mean that it's harder to turn that final 1 degree than it was previously.
5) I think this point is largely being covered by the 'line' tool that everyone is suggesting - but basically, the ability to see what the shortest distance is between two units, and to have that show up on the screen. I would imagine somehow activating this tool, then clicking on one unit (or even model) and then the next unit (or model) and having it determine the shortest straight-line distance.
6) Some tool/bar/measuring device that is only 1" wide. We used the rulers in UB1 as another way to check our unit spacing. Since the rulers were only 1" wide, this made for a quick check. I understand you've made the new ones for tablet use - but having 1 tool that was still only 1" wide would be helpful.

Things I love about this new version:

1) Fixed axis moving - Very good for moving distances more than a couple of inches, and very good at allowing us to see if movements from certain units will 'clear' other units/terrain (always a human element that could be messed up in UB1).
2) Dice feature to count rolls of X+ - speeds up counting sooo much - thank you!
3) It's prettier - an important change!

Thank you Lorenzo!

Ben Mitchell
piteglio

Postby piteglio » Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:45 pm

great work, as usual.

for us lap/desktop users, is it possible to use the keyboard arrows to move units 1" in the chosen direction?
directions would be north south west east if the "squarelines" tool is not selected; front back left right if it is selected.

cheers
f
Lorenzo
Site Admin

Postby Lorenzo » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:29 am

BenMitchel, the rotation in UB1 and UB2 is identical. What is exactly the difference you are talking about?
BenMitchell

Postby BenMitchell » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:25 pm

The format/look is identical. The feel is too finely tuned. So in UB1 when I rotate, I'm more likely to be able to rotate to the specific 1 degree needed (often needed when putting a unit back in place parallel with the board, or when trying to make sure that I'm lining up exactly 180 degrees from my opponent, like in combat). When I perform this same rotation in UB2, it seems 'harder' - like, I have to put more effort into getting it to the exact 1 degree that I want, and I'm more likely to over-rotate or under-rotate. Does that make more sense? In that regard, it might be better if there were an option for a user to do some precise wheeling using arrow keys on the keyboard or something - that would solve it for someone like me.

I play only on a laptop/desktop, btw.
Vitnar

Postby Vitnar » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:45 pm

hey Lorenzo, could you add a bear mount in the "animal" section of the army editor? It would be absolutely super great for some Dwarfs...
Lorenzo
Site Admin

Postby Lorenzo » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:37 am

BenMitchell wrote:The format/look is identical. The feel is too finely tuned. So in UB1 when I rotate, I'm more likely to be able to rotate to the specific 1 degree needed (often needed when putting a unit back in place parallel with the board, or when trying to make sure that I'm lining up exactly 180 degrees from my opponent, like in combat). When I perform this same rotation in UB2, it seems 'harder' - like, I have to put more effort into getting it to the exact 1 degree that I want, and I'm more likely to over-rotate or under-rotate. Does that make more sense? In that regard, it might be better if there were an option for a user to do some precise wheeling using arrow keys on the keyboard or something - that would solve it for someone like me.

Ok so just to clarify you would like it to be less precise, so only work with 1 full degree instead of fractions of a degree.
Vitnar

Postby Vitnar » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:36 am

Lorenzo wrote:
BenMitchell wrote:The format/look is identical. The feel is too finely tuned. So in UB1 when I rotate, I'm more likely to be able to rotate to the specific 1 degree needed (often needed when putting a unit back in place parallel with the board, or when trying to make sure that I'm lining up exactly 180 degrees from my opponent, like in combat). When I perform this same rotation in UB2, it seems 'harder' - like, I have to put more effort into getting it to the exact 1 degree that I want, and I'm more likely to over-rotate or under-rotate. Does that make more sense? In that regard, it might be better if there were an option for a user to do some precise wheeling using arrow keys on the keyboard or something - that would solve it for someone like me.

Ok so just to clarify you would like it to be less precise, so only work with 1 full degree instead of fractions of a degree.

It makes sense, much less unneccesary adjustments during play. I agree that this is a good solution. Or what if it was a feature that you can turn on/off like the x/y axis only movement?
BenMitchell

Postby BenMitchell » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:07 pm

Lorenzo wrote:

Yes. :)
Vitnar

Postby Vitnar » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:43 pm

BEARS! Huzzah! Thanks a lot :D
Lorenzo
Site Admin

Postby Lorenzo » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:48 pm

Vitnar wrote:BEARS! Huzzah! Thanks a lot :D

No problem :)
Vitnar

Postby Vitnar » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:11 pm

There seems to be something wrong with creating big monsters with smaller handlers riding them. Check out the 'Vitnar's Northern Dwarfs' army, there are two selectons there that are on 100x150mm bases - two big mammoths that I created using a rhino body and 4 dwarf bodies plus some other parts. When created, the minature in the ary selecion is rather small, but then when you place the model on the battlefield, ot is super blocky and low-res.
Lorenzo
Site Admin

Postby Lorenzo » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:35 am

Vitnar wrote:There seems to be something wrong with creating big monsters with smaller handlers riding them. Check out the 'Vitnar's Northern Dwarfs' army, there are two selectons there that are on 100x150mm bases - two big mammoths that I created using a rhino body and 4 dwarf bodies plus some other parts. When created, the minature in the ary selecion is rather small, but then when you place the model on the battlefield, ot is super blocky and low-res.

There seems to be some issues with some individual pieces in the various section that cause this.
In this specific case it is the harness on the back.
I am trying to find a fix for this.
Lorenzo
Site Admin

Postby Lorenzo » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:24 am

Just fixed the issue with the large models.
BenMitchell

Postby BenMitchell » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:02 pm

I noticed that you modified the rotation so that it's in full degrees, thank you.

We ran into an issue the other night with base sizing. I'm going to try and describe it:

Player A deploys a unit and realizes it's on the wrong base size.
Player A deletes said unit, leaves the game, adjusts the base size in the model editor, then comes back into the game and re-deploys the unit
On Player A's screen, the unit now has the correct base size.
On Player B's screen, the unit still has the old base size, and is often spaced awkwardly on the tray (as if it's base size is correct).

If I remember correctly, it took both of us logging out of the match, then making clones of our units with incorrect base sizes (and correcting the sizes on the clones), and loading those into the new game for it to correct itself.

Also, the sooner you can add the delete key into the game, the better (and in my opinion, when using the delete key, the game doesn't need to ask 'if you are sure')! Thank you for all the hard work!

Return to “Bugs/Feedback”