Dungeon Tiles Terrain?

Write here if you have you found a bug or you just want to share and idea to make this game better.
Beska

Dungeon Tiles Terrain?

Postby Beska » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:14 pm

Is it possible to add dungeon tiles to the terrain available in Universal Battle 2? I'm thinking of Something like a 30mm square stone texture with a black border.

Right now, I'm able to create basic "tiles" using the army editor, which is handy as it allows me to create custom sized areas by defining the columns and rows, but as they aren't terrain, there is no way to lock them in place, and they inevitably get shuffled about and cover up the models. Here is an example:

Universal Battle Dungeon Tiles.jpg
Universal Battle Dungeon Tiles.jpg (77.51 KiB) Viewed 3845 times

Beyond the possibility of playing dungeon tile based miniature board and wargames, this would allow UB2 to be used for roleplaying games like Dungeons and Dragons. I'm aware that there are programs specifically designed for running tabletop RPGs online (I've tested quite a number of Virtual Tabletop programs and I've run many games using what I feel is the most functional of them) but I much prefer UB2 for playing online because it's stable on both PC and Android and wonderfully easy to use.

I'm also thinking that my RPG friends would love the ability to customize their character tokens using the army editor. There are some very nice premade top down tokens out there, but they can't be quickly and easily changed over time to reflect characters gaining new weapons and armor the way the army editor allows.

P.S. Also, The addition of a plain green 30mm square with a black border would allow for the creation of a field to play miniature sports games. Again, I can do this with the army editor but as noted that won't work as the board isn't underlying terrain:

Universal Battle Fantasy Football.jpg
Universal Battle Fantasy Football.jpg (66.31 KiB) Viewed 3845 times
Lorenzo
Site Admin

Re: Dungeon Tiles Terrain?

Postby Lorenzo » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:28 am

Absolutely, actually I would love your help on this! If you make a nice army list (made just for scenic purposes) then I can convert those to Maps objects.
After you are done making all the objects you think you might need, let me know the name of that list.

Another thing I want to do is add the ability to mark a model as "Map" so anyone can create them and lock them.
Beska

Postby Beska » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:09 pm

Thank you so much! I'll get started on a dungeon tile army list after I get home from work tonight. And I think that the being able to mark models as "map" is a wonderful idea!
Beska

Postby Beska » Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:07 pm

Okay I finished making the dungeon tiles this morning. Many dungeon features such as rubble, coffins, etc. are already available in the UB2 terrain, so I tried not to duplicate any of that.

The images are saved in the army editor as "Dungeon Tile Set."

I organized the tiles into categories that I hope are logical for those wanting to build dungeon terrain:

CAVERNS:
arch, concave, convex, corner

DOORS AND WALLS:
double wall, metal door, portcullis, revealed door, secret door, wall, window, wood door
(Note: the "double wall" is a double length wall, not double thickness.)

FLOORS:
earth, fog of war, grass, ice, lava, sand, stone, turf, water
(Note: I made both 1x1 and 2x2 versions of the floor tiles.)

ITEMS:
curtain, fireplace, pillar, pit, statue, stairs, trapdoor
(Note: the curtain and fireplace icons are positioned off center on their tiles to account for the thickness of nearby walls.)

I have the tiles saved in the above order in the Dungeon Tile Set army.

I can't wait to try out the set once you've included it! Thank you again for being receptive to the idea. :D
Lorenzo
Site Admin

Postby Lorenzo » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:32 am

Thank you, I am trying to figure out if I should implement those specifically or should I ask my artist to do a pass. One question, why are the sizes of the blocks 30x30?
Beska

Postby Beska » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:32 pm

I can see where having an artist go over the tiles would be helpful - I just went with what looked good to me, and I have almost no artistic training whatsoever. (I love using the unit editor specifically because I can't draw a straight line. :oops: )

I went with 30x30 tiles because I noticed that most of the human sized figures in the default armies really overhang their 20x20 bases (and there are some slightly larger figures on 25x25 bases) and I wanted the figures to fit on the tiles.
Lorenzo
Site Admin

Postby Lorenzo » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:37 am

I actually ended up adding the feature to make any model editable as a map scenic.
If you download the latest version for Windows or Browser you should be able to see a "is Map decoration" check.
If you click on it, it will make that model behave as if it was a piece of the map.

Let me know if this works for you.
piteglio

Postby piteglio » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:58 am

this is very useful!
i can now create "official size" terrain with rules in the "info" description, and save it as a model for use in "official" tournaments.
thanks again!
f
Beska

Postby Beska » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:41 pm

Yes the new feature is working great and is far better than simply adding a few dungeon tiles. Thank you!! :D
Beska

Postby Beska » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:50 am

Finished my first map using models as terrain.
Attachments
new UB2 Kerrrunch board.jpg
new UB2 Kerrrunch board.jpg (79.31 KiB) Viewed 3801 times

Return to “Bugs/Feedback”